Cardiac Catheterization-After The Procedure
Post procedure, the patient will be monitored for a few hours in an observation or recovery room. If the patient had catheterization done through the groin, they will be asked to lie down straight with the legs extended to control bleeding from the puncture site. They will be asked not to sit down, stand or raise his head to prevent bleeding.
In patients, where the puncture site is at the arm or wrist, they may be allowed to walk around the observation room. These patients will be asked not to bend their arm or lie on it. The nurses will provide pain medications to alleviate back pain if induced by lying on the back for a very long time. Some of the symptoms that needs to be notified to the nurses or doctors without delay are -
- Pain in the insertion site
- Bleeding in the insertion site
- Tingling or numbness in the fingers
- Chest pain
- Difficulties in breathing
- Irregular heart beat
Rash/hivesRedness, bruise, small swelling or lump in the insertion site is considered normal and will duly subside in a few days. Patients may be asked to drink lots of water after cardiac catheterization to remove the contrast medium from the body.
The doctor will plan the treatment options based on the results of the test and discuss it with the patient and family. Some patients will be allowed to go home on the same day and some will be monitored overnight at the hospital. Others may stay back for further tests or surgery depending on the outcome.
Few restrictions for the patient to follow at home after catheterization are -
- Leave the bandage and dressing in place until instructed (usually - 24 to 48 hrs).
- Lifting heavy weights must be avoided.
- Avoid strenuous exercise.
- Contact the doctor, when there are signs of infection.
- Effect of Transradial Access on Quality of Life and Cost of Cardiac Catheterization: A randomized Comparison. Christopher J. Cooper, MD, Reda A. El-Shiekh, MD, David J. Cohen, MD, MSc, Linda Blaesing, RN, Mark W. Burket, MD, Asish Basu, MD, etal. Am Heart J 138(3):430-436, 1999.
- The effect of early education on patient anxiety while waiting for elective cardiac catheterization. Harkness K, Morrow L, Smith K, Kiczula M, Arthur HM. European journal of cardiovascular nursing: journal of the Working Group on Cardiovascular Nursing of the European Society of Cardiology 2003 July.
- Indications for and objectives of cardiac catheterization in aortic valve disease. A D Johnson. West J Med. 1977 June; 126(6): 471–473. - (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1237633)
- Information About Cardiac catheterization - (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003419.htm)
- Cardiac Catheterization and Coronary Angiogram - (http://www.cpmc.org/services/cardiac/card-cath.html)
- http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/guide/webchat/ellis052507.htm - (Interventional Procedures - Questions and Answers about Stents, Angioplasty and New Approaches to Treat Heart Disease — May 25, 2007)
- Cardiac Catheterization FAQs - (http://www.hfmhealth.org/card-cath-faq.htm)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Padma Sundareson. (2018, April 05). Cardiac Catheterization-After The Procedure. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 11, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cardiac-catheterization-after-procedure.htm.
Padma Sundareson. "Cardiac Catheterization-After The Procedure". Medindia. Dec 11, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cardiac-catheterization-after-procedure.htm>.
Padma Sundareson. "Cardiac Catheterization-After The Procedure". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cardiac-catheterization-after-procedure.htm. (accessed Dec 11, 2023).
Padma Sundareson. 2018. Cardiac Catheterization-After The Procedure. Medindia, viewed Dec 11, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cardiac-catheterization-after-procedure.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Cardiologist for your problem? Ask your question
18 years experience
8 years experience
12 years experience
Bidkar Clinic, Shivajinagar , Pune
21 years experience
Apoorva Superspeciality Medical Centre, Jayanagar, Bangalore