Risk factors of Carcinoid Tumors or Carcinoid Syndrome
A risk factor is something that increases the chance of acquiring a disease. This doesn’t mean that a person without a risk factor will not acquire a cancer. That is not all; even having a risk factor doesn’t make it mandatory that the person develops cancer.
- Age: A diagnosis of carcinoid tumor is more likely in older adults
- Family history: People are at a higher risk of acquiring a carcinoid tumor if genetic syndromes like Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia type 1 (MEN 1) run in the family.
- Smoking: Smoking tobacco is believed to increase the risk of acquiring a carcinoid tumor.
- Other medical conditions like gastritis, pernicious anaemia where the stomach’s ability to produce acid has been affected are likely to increase the risk.
- Cecil Medicine, 23rd Ed.
- Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, 17th Ed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Nithin Jayan. (2016, March 14). Risk factors of Carcinoid Tumors or Carcinoid Syndrome. Medindia. Retrieved on May 28, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/carcinoid-tumors-risk-factors.htm.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Risk factors of Carcinoid Tumors or Carcinoid Syndrome". Medindia. May 28, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/carcinoid-tumors-risk-factors.htm>.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Risk factors of Carcinoid Tumors or Carcinoid Syndrome". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/carcinoid-tumors-risk-factors.htm. (accessed May 28, 2022).
Dr. Nithin Jayan. 2021. Risk factors of Carcinoid Tumors or Carcinoid Syndrome. Medindia, viewed May 28, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/carcinoid-tumors-risk-factors.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Oncologist for your problem? Ask your question
15 years experience
Sai Health Care, Shadara
+ 1 more