Incidence of Bulimia Nervosa
The incidence of Bulimia has attained significance over the past 30 years especially in young women in advanced countries.
Bulimia has gained importance in the past 30 years. In the United States approximately 25 million people are struggling with 'Binge eating disorder.' It is also estimated that almost 10 million females and 1 million males are fighting a life-and-death battle with other eating disorders such as Anorexia or Bulimia and only 6% of people suffering from Bulimia receive mental health care.
- This disorder is 10 times more common in females than in males.
- The prevalence of Bulimia Nervosa among women aged between 16-40 years is reported to be around 1-3%.
- It is seldom seen in men.
- This is a condition that has been recognised only in the developed countries.
- Statistics of Bulimia show a dramatic increase in recent years, especially among young women, between the ages of 15-24.
- Shorter Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry (IVth Edition): Oxford University Press Michael Gelder, Richard Mayou & Philip Cowen.
- A Short Textbook of Psychiatry (Vth Edition): Jaypee Brothers, Niraj Ahuja, MD.
- Bulimia nervosa: an ominous variant of anorexia nervosa. Psych Med. 1979; 9:429-48. Russell, Gerald F.M.
- Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialities. 6th Edition. Oxford press. Judith Colier, Murray Longmore, Peter Scally.
- Russell, Gerald F.M. Bulimia nervosa : an ominous variant of anorexia nervosa. Psych Med. 1979; 9:429-48.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Vivekanand. (2014, December 07). Incidence of Bulimia Nervosa. Medindia. Retrieved on May 21, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bulimianervosa-incidence.htm.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Incidence of Bulimia Nervosa". Medindia. May 21, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bulimianervosa-incidence.htm>.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Incidence of Bulimia Nervosa". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bulimianervosa-incidence.htm. (accessed May 21, 2022).
Dr. Vivekanand. 2021. Incidence of Bulimia Nervosa. Medindia, viewed May 21, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bulimianervosa-incidence.htm.