Effects of Bulimia Nervosa
The effects of Bulimia are both physical and psychological, the former, a direct result of improper eating and the purging methods employed and the latter, due to depression.
Bulimia is known to affect the mental and physical well-being of the patient. Though it not associated with extreme weight loss, the condition is as serious as Anorexia.
The general effects of Bulimia on the physical health include:
- Continuous symptoms of sore throat and inflammation.
- Heartburn because of acid reflux which is brought on by constant self-induced vomiting.
- The acid reflux could lead to ruptured oesophagus.
- Presence of teeth erosions, cavities, gum disease/bleeding gums.
- Ulcers in the mouth due to vitamin deficiencies.
- Irregular menstruation.
- Bowel and kidney diseases.
- Intestinal problems.
- Bloating of stomach, stomach ulcers.
- Shorter Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry (IVth Edition): Oxford University Press Michael Gelder, Richard Mayou & Philip Cowen.
- A Short Textbook of Psychiatry (Vth Edition): Jaypee Brothers, Niraj Ahuja, MD.
- Bulimia nervosa: an ominous variant of anorexia nervosa. Psych Med. 1979; 9:429-48. Russell, Gerald F.M.
- Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialities. 6th Edition. Oxford press. Judith Colier, Murray Longmore, Peter Scally.
- Russell, Gerald F.M. Bulimia nervosa : an ominous variant of anorexia nervosa. Psych Med. 1979; 9:429-48.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Vivekanand. (2014, December 07). Effects of Bulimia Nervosa. Medindia. Retrieved on May 16, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bulimianervosa-effects.htm.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Effects of Bulimia Nervosa". Medindia. May 16, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bulimianervosa-effects.htm>.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Effects of Bulimia Nervosa". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bulimianervosa-effects.htm. (accessed May 16, 2022).
Dr. Vivekanand. 2021. Effects of Bulimia Nervosa. Medindia, viewed May 16, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bulimianervosa-effects.htm.