Frequently Asked Questions1. Which specialist usually treats Nasal Fractures?
A Facio-Maxillary surgeon or an ENT Surgeon treats these injuries.
2. How should I treat a broken nose at home?
Treat by applying ice wrapped towel for 15 minutes to half-an hour. If you have undue pain and nasal congestion you could use over-the-counter pain medications and nasal decongestants. If symptoms persist, it is better to see a doctor.
3. I had a blow on my nose and it is swollen, when should I seek an opinion of a specialist?
You should seek advice of a specialist immediately-
- If you felt a crack when you were hit, which means you have a fracture
- If you find your nose to be crooked or deformed
- If you have a persistent nosebleed or watery discharge for more than 10 to 15 minutes
- If you experience difficulty in breathing through your nose.
- If you are experiencing headache that maybe accompanied by vomiting, and/or feeling of giddiness or loss of consciousness
- If you experience extreme pain and bruising around the nose.
4. How long does it generally take for the swelling and bruises on the nose to clear after an injury ?
The swelling and bruises may last for one to two weeks. However it the nose is bent – it will not straighten on its own unless it is corrected.
5. What preventive measures can be taken to prevent broken nose?
- Wear a seat belt while driving
- Wear a protective helmet if riding a bike
- Wear the right head and face protective gear if playing contact sports or sports like cricket, hockey or baseball
6. What Kind of Anesthesia is required for nasal surgery?
A general anesthesia is usually given for Rhinoplasty procedure
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. (2020, September 25). Broken Nose (Nasal Fracture) - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia. Retrieved on May 27, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/broken-nose-faqs.htm.
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. "Broken Nose (Nasal Fracture) - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. May 27, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/broken-nose-faqs.htm>.
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. "Broken Nose (Nasal Fracture) - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/broken-nose-faqs.htm. (accessed May 27, 2022).
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. 2021. Broken Nose (Nasal Fracture) - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia, viewed May 27, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/broken-nose-faqs.htm.