Blood Donation - Ideal Donors
Not everyone is suitable for blood donation. An ideal blood donor needs to meet certain criteria.
An ideal candidate for blood donation should -
- Must be within the age group of 18-60.
- Must weigh a minimum of 45 kgs (90 pounds).
- Have a blood pressure in the range of 160/90 to 110/60.
- Have a normal pulse rate between 60 to 100 per minute.
- Hemoglobin content must be a minimum of 12gms%.
- Should not be on any drugs such as BP or diabetes medications, hormones, aspirin, corticosteroid.
- Should not be a vitim of any disease that can be transmittable through blood transfusions.
- Donors who give blood voluntarily and for altruistic reasons have the lowest prevalence of HIV, hepatitis viruses and other blood-borne infections, as compared to people who donate for family members or in lieu of payment.
- WHO Fact sheet N°279, June 2008, Blood safety and donation
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2020, September 23). Blood Donation - Ideal Donors. Medindia. Retrieved on May 21, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/blooddonation_ideal_donor.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Blood Donation - Ideal Donors". Medindia. May 21, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/blooddonation_ideal_donor.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Blood Donation - Ideal Donors". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/blooddonation_ideal_donor.htm. (accessed May 21, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Blood Donation - Ideal Donors. Medindia, viewed May 21, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/blooddonation_ideal_donor.htm.