We have seen in length about the donors it is equally important to know about the recipients as well. Very often persons requiring a blood transfusion would be fighting for his life. The following are the individuals who may need blood transfusions.
• A patient who was subjected to a major accident and thereby blood loss.
• A person who is ear marked to undergo a major surgery. For instance, an open-heart surgery
may require about 6 units of blood.
• A woman going through childbirth or suffering a miscarriage may require large quantities of life-saving blood.
• Patients with hematological disorders such as hemophilia, Thalassemia, leukemias and anemias.
• When a person suffers shock, drug reactions
, burns or poisoning, blood transfusion may be the way to save his life.