Complications & Risks to Donors
Studies reveal that there is a minor chance of risk among donors. However, no death has been reported.
Sometimes blood donations can put a person at risks. Donors are usually screened for the presence of risk factors/diseases. Some of the risks faced by a blood donor are listed below:
- A quick change in BP can result in hypovolemic reactions-fainting might ensue.
- Less than 1% suffer from bruising by the needle.
- Some the donors suffer from bleeding.
- Blood donors may occasionally react adversely to the sodium citrate used to prevent coagulation during apheresis. Sodium citrate, returned to the donor along with blood components that are not required, can bind together the calcium present in the donor’s blood. This may cause hypocalcemia-the symptoms of which include tingling in the lips, convulsion or even graver symptoms. This condition can be prevented by providing calcium supplements to the donor.
- Manual apheresis, without the help of automated machines can lead to transfusion reactions.
- Usage of non-sterilized equipments and needles can increase risk to donors.
- Donors who give blood voluntarily and for altruistic reasons have the lowest prevalence of HIV, hepatitis viruses and other blood-borne infections, as compared to people who donate for family members or in lieu of payment.
- WHO Fact sheet N°279, June 2008, Blood safety and donation
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2020, September 23). Blood Donation - Complications & Risks to Donors . Medindia. Retrieved on May 21, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/blooddonation-complications-risks-donors.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Blood Donation - Complications & Risks to Donors ". Medindia. May 21, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/blooddonation-complications-risks-donors.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Blood Donation - Complications & Risks to Donors ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/blooddonation-complications-risks-donors.htm. (accessed May 21, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Blood Donation - Complications & Risks to Donors . Medindia, viewed May 21, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/blooddonation-complications-risks-donors.htm.