Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctors treat blood clots?

Treatment of blood clots is done by specialists depending on the site of the clot. For example, a cardiologist treats clots in the heart, while a vascular surgeon may treat deep vein thrombosis.

2. How is a blood clot treated?

Superficial clots can be treated symptomatically with warm compresses and mild medications like acetaminophen or ibuprofen. However clots formed in deeper veins or arteries require antiplatelet, anticoagulant and sometimes thrombolytic agents.

Most Popular on Medindia