Treatment of Bleeding Disorders
There are no permanent cures for most bleeding disorders. Typically, they are managed, once diagnosed.
The kind of treatment administered depends on the type and severity of the complication.
Simple steps in the management of the disease include:-
- Avoidance of injury and bleeding episodes is the primary step towards managing the disorders.
- Those with severe factor deficiencies, such as factor VIII deficit will have to be supplied with those factors. Concentrated forms of these are available, but tend to be quite expensive. These can also be administered as a preventive measure.
- If the bleeding disorder is due to deficient or dysfunctional platelets, they may be transfused to the patient.
- If the bleeding disorder stemmed from von Willebrandís disease or milder Hemophilia A, the drug called desmopressin (DDAVP) may be given temporaily, to improve clotting.
- If a bleeding disorder is caused by acquired factors, the underlying condition must be resolved. for e.g. if the bleeding is caused by a liver disease, then that disease has to be treated for the bleeding to stop or if it is brought about by drugs, the medications will have to be re-considered. An injectable dose of Vitamin K may help in such situations.
- With Disseminated Intravascualr Coagulation (DIC), an acute condition, immediate treatment may be life-saving. Treatments involve platelet and clotting factor transfusions as well as anticoagulation therapy such as heparin administration.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2016, February 17). What are the Treatment Options for Bleeding Disorder. Medindia. Retrieved on May 25, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bleeding-disorders-treatment.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "What are the Treatment Options for Bleeding Disorder". Medindia. May 25, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bleeding-disorders-treatment.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "What are the Treatment Options for Bleeding Disorder". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bleeding-disorders-treatment.htm. (accessed May 25, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. What are the Treatment Options for Bleeding Disorder. Medindia, viewed May 25, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bleeding-disorders-treatment.htm.