Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult for bladder exstrophy?

Bladder exstrophy is usually diagnosed at birth by the pediatrician, who may refer the case to a pediatric surgeon or a pediatric urologist. Adult patients with bladder exstrophy may visit a urologist for treatment.

2. What is the long-term prognosis or outcome of bladder exstrophy?

Bladder exstrophy if left untreated can cause social issues due to the bad smell coming from the patient. In addition, the patient is also at a risk of kidney failure or cancer of the exposed bladder. Surgery especially in the case of incomplete bladder exstrophy often results in a good outcome, and the patient can lead a normal life with normal continence of urine. Many patients require repeat surgeries. A failed initial surgery reduces the chances of success with future surgeries in achieving good bladder capacity and continence of urine. Surgeries can also cause complications, which may require further treatment.

Most Popular on Medindia