Frequently Asked Questions about Bird Flu
1. Which doctor should I visit for symptoms of flu?
You should visit a general physician.
2. How can bird flu be prevented?
The following measures can be adopted for prevention of bird flu-
- People who work with birds (cullers and transporters) should use protective clothing and special breathing masks. They should wash their hands after handling birds. It is advisable to get a flu shot.
- Avoid eating undercooked or uncooked meat.
- Avoid contact with sick poultry.
- Destroy flocks when sick birds are identified and vaccinate healthy flocks.
3. Is there any vaccination to prevent bird flu in humans?
The US FDA has approved a vaccine in 2007 for use in humans. The vaccine is made from inactivated viruses. It is not yet available to the general public.
4. Are there any diagnostic tests for detecting bird flu?
Sputum culture or PCR can be used for diagnosing bird flu.