Symptoms and Signs of Biliary Cirrhosis
Patients with biliary cirrhosis may not show any symptoms. Some may show one or more of the following symptoms and signs:
- Fatigue. Fatigue may be severe and associated with excessive sleep during the daytime.
- Itching of the body. Itching may occur more in the evening.
- Discomfort in the upper abdomen.
- On examination, the liver and spleen may be larger than normal. The patient may show accumulation of fluid in the abdomen and the legs.
- The patient may show darkening of the skin and small soft skin swellings in some areas. The skin swellings occur due to high cholesterol level.
- Bone pain may occur in some patients.
- Simon Hohenester & Ronald P. J. Oude-Elferink & Ulrich Beuers. Primary biliary cirrhosis. Semin Immunopathol (2009) 31:283–307.
- Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine 17th edition