Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who should I approach for assistance with my grief?

It is best to get in touch with a qualified psychologist or psychiatrist or a family counselor who will help you work through your grief. They will be able to give a patient ear and share your emotions during this turbulent phase in your life. With their help it is possible to cope and learn to adapt to life despite the loss.

2. I am going through extreme mood swings and am unable to cope with day to day tasks. I also feel like weeping at most times. Is it normal?

Mood swings are extremely common as you grapple with the loss of someone very dear. This is a natural part of grieving and this helps you heal faster. You might also experience anger, guilt, sorrow, pain, yearning and even imagine seeing your loved one at familiar places. Allow yourself to feel all these intense emotions. Give yourself time and space to mourn the loss of your loved one. Grieving helps you accept the loss and move on, and is crucial for emotional well-being.

3. It is six months since I lost someone very close and I feel extremely depressed and do not feel up to anything. I feel like giving up on life.

Grief is a universal experience. The manner and intensity of grief vary from person to person. You are obviously filled with memories of the person you have lost and it is not easy to wipe away the years of togetherness. It will take one-two years before you completely recover and learn to live with the loss of the person.

However, if you are unable to work through your grief, seek the support of bereavement counseling. You may contact a psychologist or psychiatrist who can help you sort out your feelings and pick up the threads of your life again. You could also join a support group and share your feelings with others who could be in a similar situation like yours. Talking with them will ease the burden and bring relief.

4. What is the best way to help a child cope with grief?

Children react to the loss of a loved one in much the same way as adults do. Most children cry, express emotions such as anger, fear, and it is best to allow them to come out with what they feel. Talking to them and comforting them help ease their pain. Most children recover from their grief faster than adults. Yet, some of them could withdraw into a shell. Such children might need professional help to understand their insecurities better. Being critical, overbearing or impatient at such times will only have a negative effect.

Do you wish to consult Psychiatrist for your problem? Ask your question

Most Popular on Medindia