Symptoms and Signs
Basal cell cancer usually arises in the facial area as a red spots, small pearly swellings, a nodule or a pale scar.
The following are the features of
- Basal cell cancer usually arises on the face in the area above a line joining the angle of the mouth and the ear lobe. (one theory proposes that it is more common in the embryonic fusion planes).
- It may be localized to an area or spread into deeper tissues.
- Superficial cancer appears as bright pink, shiny well defined red spots or small pearly swellings, a nodule or a pale scar. Stretching of the skin may make the lesion more obvious.
- Ulceration of the central part may occur with the edges appearing raised and rolled up.
A biopsy helps to diagnose the cancer.
The most common site for the Basal cell cancer is the face especially the nose (70%). But it may also occurs in other areas such as:
- Trunk - 25%
- Penis, vulva - 5%
- Bailey and Love Short Practice of Surgery 25th edition.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2014, December 01). Symptoms and Signs of Basal Cell Cancer. Medindia. Retrieved on May 23, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/basal-cell-cancer-of-the-skin-symptoms-and-signs.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Symptoms and Signs of Basal Cell Cancer". Medindia. May 23, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/basal-cell-cancer-of-the-skin-symptoms-and-signs.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Symptoms and Signs of Basal Cell Cancer". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/basal-cell-cancer-of-the-skin-symptoms-and-signs.htm. (accessed May 23, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Symptoms and Signs of Basal Cell Cancer. Medindia, viewed May 23, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/basal-cell-cancer-of-the-skin-symptoms-and-signs.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Surgeon for your problem? Ask your question
29 years experience