Chronic exposure to sunlight especially in fair-skinned individuals is the major risk factor for the development of basal cell cancer.
The following are risk factors for the development of basal cell cancer or basal cell carcinoma:
- Chronic sunlight exposure: Chronic exposure to ultraviolet sunrays is the most important factor in the development of basal cell cancer. People living near the equator are at a particular risk. Ultraviolet rays from tanning booths could also predispose to the development of basal cell cancer.
- Fair individuals: Basal cell cancer occurs most often in white-skinned individuals.
- Age: Basal cell cancer affects middle aged and elderly people between the ages of 40 and 80 years.
- Male gender: Men are more commonly affected than women.
- Exposure to chemicals: Exposure to chemicals like arsenical compounds, coal tar and aromatic hydrocarbons.
- Radiation: radiation predisposes the person to basal cell cancer. It occurs may thus occur on the hands of a radiographer.
- Previous skin lesions: Basal cell cancer can develop on previous scars, vaccination points, previous trauma and even tattoos.
- Bailey and Love Short Practice of Surgery 25th edition.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2014, December 01). Risk Factors for Basal Cell Cancer. Medindia. Retrieved on May 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/basal-cell-cancer-of-the-skin-risk-factors.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Risk Factors for Basal Cell Cancer". Medindia. May 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/basal-cell-cancer-of-the-skin-risk-factors.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Risk Factors for Basal Cell Cancer". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/basal-cell-cancer-of-the-skin-risk-factors.htm. (accessed May 26, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Risk Factors for Basal Cell Cancer. Medindia, viewed May 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/basal-cell-cancer-of-the-skin-risk-factors.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Surgeon for your problem? Ask your question
45 years experience
, Residency Road