Adequate protection from sun exposure especially in fair-skinned individuals could help to prevent basal cell cancer.
The following tips can help to prevent basal cell cancer or basal cell carcinoma from developing:
- Since ultraviolet radiation from the sun is the main cause of skin cancers, excessive exposure to sun should be avoided especially around noon. When unavoidable, the skin should be protected with sunscreen with an SPF (Sun Protection Factor) of 15 or greater and other protection like wide-brim hats and protective clothing.
- People especially white skinned individuals who are more susceptible to the cancer should be educated about the risk factors for developing skin cancers.
- People over the age of 40 years should undergo regular skin examinations or be educated about self examination. They should be told what to look for and how to detect cancerous changes in a skin lesion.
These include a rapid increase in size,
- Change in color and appearance
- Bleeding of a skin lesion. Another basal cell cancer can also occur after treatment of the first; hence repeated skin examinations should be carried out even after treatment.
- Bailey and Love Short Practice of Surgery 25th edition.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2014, December 01). Prevention of Basal Cell Cancer. Medindia. Retrieved on May 21, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/basal-cell-cancer-of-the-skin-prevention.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Prevention of Basal Cell Cancer". Medindia. May 21, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/basal-cell-cancer-of-the-skin-prevention.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Prevention of Basal Cell Cancer". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/basal-cell-cancer-of-the-skin-prevention.htm. (accessed May 21, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Prevention of Basal Cell Cancer. Medindia, viewed May 21, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/basal-cell-cancer-of-the-skin-prevention.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Surgeon for your problem? Ask your question
29 years experience