Barrett’s esophagus is a condition where the inner lining of the esophagus changes to resemble the intestinal lining. It predisposes the patient to cancer.
The esophagus is a 25 cms tube that connects the throat to the stomach and is the food pipe that lies behind the wind pipe. It consists of muscles lined on the inside by particular type of cells.
Norman Barrett, a British surgeon first described this condition, hence it is named after him. Following Barrett’s esophagus, some cells could show precancerous changes. This stage is called low-grade dysplasia. It could further progress to high-grade dysplasia and cancer.
The exact extent of the disease in the general population is not known since very few studies have been conducted on this topic. From the available information, it is estimated that the disease is less common in Asians than in the Western population.
The rate of patients with Barrett’s esophagus developing cancer is less than 1% per year. Despite this, it is necessary to detect it since esophageal cancer is very difficult to treat once it develops.
- Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine 17th edition
- Wood RK and Yang Y. Barrett’s Esophagus in 2008: an Update. Keio J Med 2008; 57 (3): 132-138
- Shalauta MD, Saad R. Barrett’s Esophagus. American Family Physician 2004, 69 (9): 2113-2118
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2014, June 27). Barrett’s Esophagus - Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 07, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/barretts-esophagus.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Barrett’s Esophagus - Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment". Medindia. Dec 07, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/barretts-esophagus.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Barrett’s Esophagus - Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/barretts-esophagus.htm. (accessed Dec 07, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Barrett’s Esophagus - Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment. Medindia, viewed Dec 07, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/barretts-esophagus.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Barrett’s Esophagus
- Once Size May Not Fit All as We Inch Closer to Personalized Management Strategies for Barrett's Esophagus. - Published by PubMed
- Screening for esophageal adenocarcinoma and precancerous conditions (dysplasia and Barrett's esophagus) in patients with chronic gastroesophageal reflux disease with or without other risk factors: two systematic reviews and one overview of reviews to inform a guideline of the Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care (CTFPHC). - Published by PubMed
- Gastrointestinal diseases among relatives of patients with esophageal atresia with or without tracheoesophageal fistula. - Published by PubMed
- Barrett's esophagus is a controversial condition. - Published by PubMed
- In Barrett's Epithelial Cells, Weakly Acidic Bile Salt Solutions Cause Oxidative DNA Damage with Response and Repair Mediated by p38. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a Gastroenterologist for your problem? Ask your question
11 years experience
Alchemist Hospital, Panchkula
5 years experience