Last Updated on Jun 27, 2014

FAQs - Barrett’s Esophagus

1. Which doctor treats Barrett’s esophagus?

A gastroenterologist treats Barrett’s esophagus.

2. How can I know if I have Barrett’s esophagus?

The only way to know if you are suffering from Barrett’s esophagus is by doing an endoscopy and biopsy.

3. Does low-grade dysplasia need to be surgically treated?

Low-grade dysplasia needs to be checked repeatedly with endoscopies, and only if it converts to high-grade dysplasia, it may need to be surgically treated.

4. How does obesity worsen gastroesophageal reflux?

Obesity increases stomach pressure and reduces lower esophageal pressure. Thus it tends to push back the acid from the stomach into the esophagus. In addition, it may also affect the movements of the esophagus.

Most Popular on Medindia