Bacterial Vaginosis - Diagnosis
The diagnosis is made by examining a wet smear under microscope or by culture. A sample of vaginal fluid is seen under a microscope either by staining or under a special lighting, to look for bacteria associated with Bacterial vaginosis.
- Vaginosis is diagnosed if any three of the following conditions are present:
- A clear background.
- Absence of lactobacilli.
- Presence of numerous "clue cells" (bacteria’s that adhere to the squamous epithelial cells that line the vagina giving them a fuzzy border, hence called clue cells).
- Presence of Gardnerella bacteria under the microscope.
- A characteristic fishy odor when a drop of vaginal discharge is mixed with a drop of 10% potassium hydroxide.
- Shows raised vaginal pH when a narrow range indicator paper is used.(3Bacterial Vaginosis
Go to source)
- The Etiology of Bacterial Vaginosis - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3072448/)
- What is Bacterial Vaginosis? - (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/184622.php)
- Bacterial Vaginosis - (https://www.ijcmas.com/vol-4-6/Anahita%20Bhesania%20Hodiwala%20and%20Anuradha%20Koli.pdf)
- Bacterial Vaginosis - CDC Fact Sheet - (https://www.cdc.gov/std/bv/stdfact-bacterial-vaginosis.htm)
- Bacterial Vaginosis as a Mixed Infection - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK2495/)
- Overview of Bacterial Vaginosis - (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bacterial-vaginosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20352279)
- What You Need To Know About Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) - (https://www.webmd.com/women/guide/what-is-bacterial-vaginosis#2)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Vivekanand. (2019, November 30). Bacterial Vaginosis - Diagnosis. Medindia. Retrieved on May 19, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bacterial-vaginosis-diagnosis.htm.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Bacterial Vaginosis - Diagnosis". Medindia. May 19, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bacterial-vaginosis-diagnosis.htm>.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Bacterial Vaginosis - Diagnosis". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bacterial-vaginosis-diagnosis.htm. (accessed May 19, 2022).
Dr. Vivekanand. 2021. Bacterial Vaginosis - Diagnosis. Medindia, viewed May 19, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bacterial-vaginosis-diagnosis.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
12 years experience
apollo hospital, navi mumbai