Complications of Bacterial Vaginosis
Bacterial vaginosis generally causes no serious complications.
- It is sometimes known to be associated with pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).
- The bacteria can sometimes infect the womb (uterus) and the tube that carries eggs from ovaries to the uterus causes Pelvic inflammatory disease.
- PID is a serious disease in women that can cause infertility and tubal (ectopic) pregnancy.
- Tubal pregnancy can be life threatening as the pregnancy occurs in the fallopian tube and it can rupture.
- Bacterial vaginosis also makes a woman more susceptible to infections such as Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea and HIV
- Bacterial vaginosis is known to cause problems in pregnancy such as such as premature delivery and low-birth-weight babies.
- Hence it is advisable to check this condition in women who have a previous history of such deliveries.(5✔ ✔Trusted Source
Bacterial Vaginosis as a Mixed Infection
Go to source,7What You Need To Know About Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)
Go to source)
- The Etiology of Bacterial Vaginosis - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3072448/)
- What is Bacterial Vaginosis? - (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/184622.php)
- Bacterial Vaginosis - (https://www.ijcmas.com/vol-4-6/Anahita%20Bhesania%20Hodiwala%20and%20Anuradha%20Koli.pdf)
- Bacterial Vaginosis - CDC Fact Sheet - (https://www.cdc.gov/std/bv/stdfact-bacterial-vaginosis.htm)
- Bacterial Vaginosis as a Mixed Infection - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK2495/)
- Overview of Bacterial Vaginosis - (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bacterial-vaginosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20352279)
- What You Need To Know About Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) - (https://www.webmd.com/women/guide/what-is-bacterial-vaginosis#2)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Vivekanand. (2019, November 30). Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications. Medindia. Retrieved on May 29, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bacterial-vaginosis-complications.htm.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications". Medindia. May 29, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bacterial-vaginosis-complications.htm>.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bacterial-vaginosis-complications.htm. (accessed May 29, 2022).
Dr. Vivekanand. 2021. Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications. Medindia, viewed May 29, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/bacterial-vaginosis-complications.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
9 years experience
DR Ankita Mandal, Near Greenwood Park
3 years experience
Vani clinic, Sambankulam
8 years experience
Chennai Diabetes And Endocrine Clinic, Near Lamech School