Causes of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Studies indicate that ADHD may be related to disturbances in the neurotransmitters found in the brain, such as dopamine and norepinephrine.
ADHD has been researched for over 40 years and there is an overwhelming body of scientific evidence to support its diagnosis. Although social factors and child -rearing tactics have been indicated, the evidences against are not compelling enough.
Some of the more substantial triggers that lead to ADHD are as follows-
- Environmental factors - Some evidences point towards the role of environmental factors in causing ADHD.
- Cigarette smoking and alcohol usage during pregnancy are indicated as risk factors. Hence it is advisable to refrain from these practices while pregnant.
- Presence of Lead in young children is reported to cause ADHD.
- Studies on twins showed that genetics plays a key role in attention disorders /ADHD. Studies show that 25 % of the close relatives of ADHD- affected children also have the disease, while the rate is just about 5% in the general population.
- A small percentage of ADHD-affected children have been found to have suffered a traumatic brain injury.
- It has been indicated that the symptoms of attention disorders are further fuelled by refined sugar and food additives.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2018, March 30). Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) - Causes. Medindia. Retrieved on May 20, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-causes.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) - Causes". Medindia. May 20, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-causes.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) - Causes". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-causes.htm. (accessed May 20, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) - Causes. Medindia, viewed May 20, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-causes.htm.