Last Updated on Oct 12, 2020

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which Doctor Should I consult for Atrial Fibrillation?

Consult your family physician if you notice any signs of atrial fibrillation or an elevated and irregular heartbeat. Make sure that you provide your physician with information with any symptoms or changes you have noticed and a thorough medical history, whether or not you think it is relevant to this case. If your doctor does confirm a diagnosis of atrial fibrillation he will recommend you to a cardiologist.

2. Will I need to keep going back for treatment?

Follow-up care is absolutely essential when dealing with any kind of heart condition, atrial fibrillation included. Make it a point to take any medications for atrial fibrillation as prescribed and go for regular checks as this is essential to monitor the progress and response to treatment and to prevent any complications from developing.

3. Is there any alternative treatment to medications?

Medical care is absolutely essential and alternative treatments are not recommended. In some cases alternative therapies could even increase the risk of complications. Instead of using alternative treatments, lifestyle and dietary changes could help to lower your reliance on medications. Follow a heart healthy diet, get adequate exercise, maintain a healthy weight, keep your cholesterol levels in check, quit smoking and avoid drinking too much alcohol.

Most Popular on Medindia