Last Updated on Dec 19, 2019

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult if I have atopic dermatitis?

You should consult a dermatologist for your problem.

2. This condition is said to be associated with allergies, can certain foods be the cause?

Yes. Some foods may provoke attacks, especially in infants and young children. But eliminating them rarely will bring a cure, though foods such as cow's milk, eggs, fish, wheat, peanuts and other foods that are suggested by your dermatologist can be avoided at least for one to two weeks on a trial basis.

3. Is atopic dermatitis contagious?

No. Atopic dermatitis is not contagious and cannot be passed from one person to the other. However, some patients with atopic dermatitis can develop secondary skin infections which may be contagious through skin contact.

4. What factors can aggravate atopic dermatitis?

The following factors can aggravate atopic dermatitis:
  • Dust and sand
  • Soaps and washing powders
  • Stress and emotional upsets
  • Usage of skin drying cosmetics
  • Extreme weather like coldness
  • Scratching and Itching
  • Using rough clothes or woolen dresses

5. What are the complications of atopic dermatitis?

Atopic dermatitis can sometimes lead to secondary skin infections and permanent scarring.


Sush1 Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Turmeric, coconut oil and avocado oil fixes it along with a diet of anti-inflammatory foods/ omega 3.

vinlav Saturday, February 11, 2012

Skin problems also affects on the stomach and on the side of the thighs. Have these problems on the left side of the body. What is it? Am puzzled.....

writes4fun Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Very good information here! One thing I never understand is why blog posts and articles about atopic dermatitis always list the back of the knees and inside the elbows as common locations, but never mention the front of the knees and outside the elbows which is where members of my family most commonly have atopic dermatitis flare ups. I found another good article on this topic: Atopic Eczema

Do you wish to consult a Dermatologist for your problem? Ask your question

Most Popular on Medindia