Atkins diet is a low carbohydrate diet that aids in weight loss. It involves limiting the consumption of carbohydrates so as to switch the body's metabolism from metabolizing glucose as energy source and converting stored body fat into energy.
It was developed by Robert Atkins to resolve his own obesity problem.
The Atkins Diet comprises of the following four stages-
- Induction - The dieter has to restrict the carbohydrate intake.
- Ongoing weight loss - Some healthy carbs can be gradually added to the diet plan.
- Pre-maintenance - The carbohydrates can be added until weight loss is achieved.
- Maintenance - Continuing the healthy eating habits for lifetime.
While on Atkins diet one can eat low carbohydrate vegetables like lettuce, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, pumpkin, turnips, cauliflower and tomatoes; most protein foods like meat, seafood and eggs; and healthy fats like olive oil for cooking.
Besides weight loss, Atkins diet helps prevent cardiovascular disease. However, some research has indicated that Atkins diet may endanger the kidneys, result in dehydration, or lead to other health problems.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 24). Atkins Diet - Basic Principle Stages Foodmanual Advantage Disadvantage FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 05, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/atkins-diet.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Atkins Diet - Basic Principle Stages Foodmanual Advantage Disadvantage FAQs". Medindia. Dec 05, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/atkins-diet.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Atkins Diet - Basic Principle Stages Foodmanual Advantage Disadvantage FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/atkins-diet.htm. (accessed Dec 05, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Atkins Diet - Basic Principle Stages Foodmanual Advantage Disadvantage FAQs. Medindia, viewed Dec 05, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/atkins-diet.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Atkins Diet
- Cardiometabolic risk and effectiveness of the modified Atkins Ketogenic Diet for adult patients with pharmacoresistant epilepsies in a middle-income country. - Published by PubMed
- Black Raspberry Inhibits Oral Tumors in Mice Treated with the Tobacco Smoke Constituent Dibenzo(def,p)chrysene via Genetic and Epigenetic Alterations. - Published by PubMed
- Effects of Synbiotic Supplement on Human Gut Microbiota, Body Composition and Weight Loss in Obesity. - Published by PubMed
- Targeting endothelial thioredoxin-interacting protein (TXNIP) protects from metabolic disorder-related impairment of vascular function and post-ischemic revascularisation. - Published by PubMed
- Changes in Food Cravings and Eating Behavior after a Dietary Carbohydrate Restriction Intervention Trial. - Published by PubMed