It is one of the most common
The exact cause of astigmatism is unknown. It is usually present from birth.
Astigmatism usually occurs when the front surface of the eye, the cornea, has an irregular curvature. This irregular shape prevents light from focusing properly on the back of the eye, the retina. As a result, a person's vision may be blurred at all distances. Undetected astigmatism is usually associated with fatigue and eyestrain. It can occur with or without shortsightedness or long-sightedness.
An ophthalmologistcan diagnose astigmatism with a thorough eye exam. Almost all degrees of astigmatism can be corrected with eyeglasses or contact lenses. Another method for correcting astigmatism is refractive or laser eye surgery i.e. by changing the shape of the cornea.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2018, February 14). Astigmatism - Causes Symptoms Diagnosis Treatment FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on Sep 21, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/astigmatism.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Astigmatism - Causes Symptoms Diagnosis Treatment FAQs". Medindia. Sep 21, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/astigmatism.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Astigmatism - Causes Symptoms Diagnosis Treatment FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/astigmatism.htm. (accessed Sep 21, 2023).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2018. Astigmatism - Causes Symptoms Diagnosis Treatment FAQs. Medindia, viewed Sep 21, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/astigmatism.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Astigmatism
- Dry eye symptoms and signs in children wearing OK lenses for six months in China. - Published by PubMed
- Malapposition of graft-host interface after penetrating keratoplasty (PK) and deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty (DALK): an optical coherence tomography study. - Published by PubMed
- One-year visual outcomes and optical quality of femtosecond laser small incision lenticule extraction and Visian Implantable Collamer Lens (ICL V4c) implantation for high myopia. - Published by PubMed
- Ophthalmic Pathology in the Offspring of Pregnant Women with Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. - Published by PubMed
- Visual and autorefraction outcomes following toric intraocular lens insertion without calculation of posterior corneal astigmatism in the UK National Health Service. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult an Ophthalmologist for your problem? Ask your question
10 years experience
Shantived Institute of Medical Sciences, Sikandra, Agra
17 years experience
Shree Ramakrishna Netralaya , Vashi, Navi Mumbai
15 years experience
32 years experience