Artificial insemination (AI) is a simple and inexpensive medical procedure, commonly used in the treatment of infertility. AI is just one of those options that may be considered prior to attempting more involved treatments, such as IVF. Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) is the most commonly used technique of artificial insemination.
Artificial insemination is usually recommended as a first step in the treatment of infertility, before specialists move on to other advanced treatments depending on the success of this treatment.
Artificial insemination is used to treat a variety of fertility problems. It is usually used for men whose sperm count is very low or the sperms are too weak to traverse the cervix and reach the fallopian tubes.
Experts recommend artificial insemination for women with abnormalities in their reproductive organs or those who suffer from endometriosis. This treatment has fewer side effects.
This procedure involves inserting the sperm directly into a woman's cervix, fallopian tubes, or uterus. AI makes it more conducive for pregnancy by reducing the chances of failure by making the journey for the sperm shorter.
The success rate of artificial insemination is largely dependent on the age of the woman. Usually after the age of 35, fertility drops and this has a bearing on the success of artificial insemination. Multiple pregnancies cannot be ruled out for those using this procedure for conception.
Those undergoing infertility treatments must watch their diet and lifestyle to improve the success of the procedure. Eating healthy food, maintaining appropriate weight, and restricting alcohol can assist in improving the success of this treatment.
Latest Publications and Research on Artificial Insemination
- The role of seminal plasma in the liquid storage of spermatozoa. - Published by PubMed
- Antibiotics and their alternatives in Artificial Breeding in livestock. - Published by PubMed
- Knockout serum replacement is an efficient serum substitute for cryopreservation of human spermatozoa. - Published by PubMed
- The extent and structure of pig rearing system in urban and peri-urban areas of Guwahati. - Published by PubMed
- Amino Acids of Seminal Plasma Associated With Freezability of Bull Sperm. - Published by PubMed