Frequently Asked Questions1. Which doctor should I consult for arachnoid cysts?
You should consult a neurologist if any symptoms related to arachnoid cysts are observed. A neurosurgeon is consulted if surgical intervention is considered.
2. What is the prognosis of arachnoid cysts if they are left untreated?
When arachnoid cysts expand and put pressure on areas of the brain or spinal cord, it results in neurological damage. Bleeding of cysts due to spontaneous rupture can also damage the spinal cord or brain.
3. What are the disorders that have similar symptoms like arachnoid cysts?
Brain disorders, such as empty sella syndrome, Dandy-Walker malformation, and central nervous system disorders, such as porencephaly have smilar symptoms as that of arachnoid cysts.
- Arachnoid Cysts / Intracranial Cysts - (http://weillcornellbrainandspine.org/condition/arachnoid-cysts-intracranial-cysts/symptoms-arachnoid-cyst)
- Candela S et al. Epidemiology and classification of arachnoid cysts in children. Neurocirugia (Astur). 2015 Apr 2. pii: S1130-1473(15)00030-5. doi: 10.1016/j.neucir.2015.02.007.
- Arachnoid Cysts - (http://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/989/printFullReport)
- Qi J, Yang J, Wang G. A novel five-category multimodal T1-weighted and T2-weighted magnetic resonance imaging-based stratification system for the selection of spinal arachnoid cyst treatment: a 15-year experience of 81 cases. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment. 2014;10:499-506.
- Rabiei K et al. Diverse arachnoid cyst morphology indicates different pathophysiological origins. Fluids Barriers CNS. 2014;11(1):5.
- Marques IB, Vieira Barbosa J. Arachnoid cyst spontaneous rupture. Acta Med Port. 2014;27(1):137-141.
- Brain Cyst - (https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Health-Conditions/Arachnoid-Cysts.aspx)
- Adrien J et al. Petrous and sphenoid arachnoid cysts: diagnosis and management. Head Neck. 2014 Mar 11. doi: 10.1002/hed.23677.
- Wang X et al. CT cisternography in intracranial symptomatic arachnoid cysts: classification and treatment. J Neurol Sci. 2012;318(1-2):125-130.
- Yildiz H et al. Evaluation of Communication between Intracranial Arachnoid Cysts and Cisterns with Phase-Contrast Cine MR Imaging. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2005 26: 145-151.
- About Arachnoid Cysts - (http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/centers_clinics/pediatric_neurosurgery/conditions/arachnoid_cysts.html)
- Kashcheev AA, Arestov SO, Gushcha AO. Flexible endoscopy in surgical treatment of spinal adhesive arachnoiditis and arachnoid cysts. Zh Vopr Neirokhir Im N N Burdenko. 2013;77(5):44-54
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. (2021, June 08). Arachnoid Cysts - Frequently Asked Questions. Medindia. Retrieved on May 17, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/arachnoid-cysts-frequently-asked-questions.htm.
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. "Arachnoid Cysts - Frequently Asked Questions". Medindia. May 17, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/arachnoid-cysts-frequently-asked-questions.htm>.
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. "Arachnoid Cysts - Frequently Asked Questions". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/arachnoid-cysts-frequently-asked-questions.htm. (accessed May 17, 2022).
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. 2021. Arachnoid Cysts - Frequently Asked Questions. Medindia, viewed May 17, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/arachnoid-cysts-frequently-asked-questions.htm.