Frequently Asked Questions1. Which specialist doctor should I consult if I am suspected to have Aortic valve Stenosis?
You should consult a cardiologist. But if surgery is required a cardiac surgeon will be consulted.
2. Which specialist doctor will do the Aortic valve replacement surgery?
A cardiothoracic surgeon will do the surgery of valve replacement.
3. What is the difference between a cardiologist and cardiothoracic surgeon?
Cardiologist is a physician and Cardiothoracic surgeon is a surgeon who does surgical operations.
4. What types of Aortic Valves are available?
If available a natural valve that is donated by a cadaver and preserved can sometimes be used, otherwise an artificial valve maybe used.
5. After surgery why should I take blood thinning tablets for rest of my life?
If you have an artificial valve it can cause clotting of blood hence you require to take these tablets.
6. How long will the surgery of valve replacement take?
It would usually take 3 to 4 hours.
7. How long would it take for me to fully recover?
Usually discharge from hospital takes 10 to 12 days and after this it would take another month to be fully recovered, The wound healing continues for up to 6 months.