Anxiety is the abnormal fear or reaction, towards any stress, which the person can normally handle. Anxiety disorder involves excessive worry about actual circumstances, events or conflicts.
There are many types of anxiety disorders including generalized anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorders, phobia and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Anyone can develop this disorder. Genes may play a role. Stress may also contribute to the development of anxiety disorder. Most anxiety disorders begin in childhood, adolescence or early adulthood. They occur slightly more often in women than in men
The patient is anxious or apprehensive and may show signs like sweating, palpitation, dry mouth, dizziness, nausea, loss of appetite, frequent urination and difficulty in swallowing.
The doctor bases the diagnosis on the patient's report of intensity and duration of symptoms, and the doctor's observation of the patient's attitude and behavior.
Treatment of anxiety disorder involves a combination of medicine, cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), relaxation therapy, and certain diet and lifestyle modifications.
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained. -Arthur Somers Roche
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 24). Anxiety Disorder - Types - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 09, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/anxiety-disorder.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Anxiety Disorder - Types - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs". Medindia. Dec 09, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/anxiety-disorder.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Anxiety Disorder - Types - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/anxiety-disorder.htm. (accessed Dec 09, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Anxiety Disorder - Types - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs. Medindia, viewed Dec 09, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/anxiety-disorder.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Anxiety Disorder
- Psychiatric Disorders in the Adolescent Offspring of Mothers with Thyroid Problems During Pregnancy. - Published by PubMed
- The therapeutic alliance in exposure therapy for anxiety-related disorders: A critical review. - Published by PubMed
- BENZODIAZEPINE EXPOSURE INDUCES TRANSCRIPTIONAL DOWN-REGULATION OF GABAA RECEPTOR a1 SUBUNIT GENE VIA L-TYPE VOLTAGE-GATED CALCIUM CHANNEL ACTIVATION IN RAT CEREBROCORTICAL NEURONS. - Published by PubMed
- [Influence of posture in musicians. A literature review]. - Published by PubMed
- Prevalence of and factors associated with low Back pain, thoracic spine pain and neck pain in Bashkortostan, Russia: the Ural Eye and Medical Study. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a Psychiatrist for your problem? Ask your question
11 years experience
Health Square Mohali, Near Buffet Hut, Mohali
12 years experience
Mann Neuro Psychiatric Clinic, Patrakar Colony, Jaipur
10 years experience
7 years experience
Athshree Speciality Clinic, Tilak road, near cake studio , Pune
+ 1 more