Last Updated on Apr 13, 2018

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult if I am suffering from depression during pregnancy?

You should consult your obstetrician who will also refer you to a psychiatrist or psychologist to treat your depression.

2. Are there any other malformations that have been noted in babies of women taking antidepressants during pregnancy?

Other malformations have been noted in some babies when the mother has taken an antidepressant during pregnancy. However, currently, it is difficult to conclude whether they were due to the medication or occurred due to some other reason.

3. Can I stop my antidepressant when I plan to conceive?

If you suffer from mild depression and have been stable for a considerable period of time, your doctor may advise you to stop your medication during pregnancy. However, do not take this decision without consulting your doctor. Also, if your symptoms relapse during pregnancy, there is a chance that your doctor may want to start the medication again.

4. Can electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) be used during pregnancy?

ECT has been used in pregnancy to treat severe depression and is considered relatively safe if the mother and the fetus are carefully monitored during the procedure.

Most Popular on Medindia