Incidence Of Anorexia Nervosa
The incidence of Anorexia Nervosa has increased among the teenagers and is higher than projected as it is often not reported.
The incidence of Anorexia Nervosa is on the increase.
The incidence of this disorder is difficult to estimate, as many cases of patients suffering from the disorder do not report it.
- Incidence of Anorexia nervosa has significantly increased since the late 1960s.
- Its incidence is known to be 10-20 times higher in females.
- Figures depict that 90-95% of the patients suffering from this condition are women.
- It is now commonly known that the women from the upper class and urban societies who are educated or professionals are more prone to develop this disorder.
- Anorexia nervosa statistics reveal that 5% of the adolescent girls show the symptoms of an eating disorder.
- Young men and adolescent boys are also a prey to this disorder due to the current trends in lifestyle.
- A recent survey suggests that in the younger age group (7-14 yrs) of people affected, 25% of them are boys.
- Current statistical estimates done in the UK suggests that 1% of the women between the ages of 15-30 years suffer from anorexia.
- Shorter Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry (IVth Edition): Oxford University Press,Michael Gelder, Richard Mayou & Philip Cowen.
- A Short Textbook of Psychiatry (Vth Edition): Jaypee Brothers,Niraj Ahuja, MD.
- Porter, Roy. The Greatest Benefit to Mankind: A Medical History of Humanity. New York: W.W. Norton; 1997, p. 706
- MacLeod, Sheila. The Art of Starvation. London: 1981 [As cited in Turner BS, The Body and Society: Explorations in Social Theory. Oxford, England: Basil Blackwell; 1984, p. 186].
- Gull, William Withey. Anorexia nervosa (apepsia hysterica, anorexia hysterica). Trans Clin Soc Lond. 1874; 7:22-8.
- MacLeod, Sheila. The Art of Starvation. London : 1981 [As cited in Turner BS, The Body and Society: Explorations in Social Theory. Oxford, England : Basil Blackwell; 1984, p. 186].
- Porter, Roy. The Greatest Benefit to Mankind: A Medical History of Humanity. New York : W.W. Norton; 1997, p. 706
- Anorexia Nervosa: The Race For Weight Loss - (http://www.something-fishy.org/whatarethey/anorexia.php)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Vivekanand. (2016, February 14). Incidence Of Anorexia Nervosa. Medindia. Retrieved on May 27, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/anorexianervosa_incidence.htm.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Incidence Of Anorexia Nervosa". Medindia. May 27, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/anorexianervosa_incidence.htm>.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Incidence Of Anorexia Nervosa". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/anorexianervosa_incidence.htm. (accessed May 27, 2022).
Dr. Vivekanand. 2021. Incidence Of Anorexia Nervosa. Medindia, viewed May 27, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/anorexianervosa_incidence.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Psychiatrist for your problem? Ask your question
8 years experience
Dr Shweta - Consultant Psychiatrist, Near ESI hospital
6 years experience
Psychiatrist Dr.Vishnupriya, Christian Basti
7 years experience
Athshree Speciality Clinic, Tilak road, near cake studio
+ 1 more