Anemia is a condition in which the red blood cell (RBC) count or hemoglobin is less than normal.
RBCs in the blood have a very crucial role to play as they contain hemoglobin, which carries oxygen to the body tissues. Anemia leadsto a host of health complications as body tissues are deprived of the required amount of oxygen to keep them healthy. Thus, victims of anemia often complain of extreme fatigue.
General malaise, weakness, fatigue, breathlessness on exertion, palpitations,and angina are some of the symptoms of anemia.
Anemia can be caused due to nutritional deficiencies, especially iron and vitamin deficiency. Inherited disorders also cause anemia. Exposure to a particular drug or toxin, and certain kinds of cancer also cause anemia. Anemia can set in either due to abnormal loss of blood, or insufficient production of RBCs or when RBCs are destroyed due to an existing medical condition.
Anemia is diagnosed after conducting a complete blood cell (CBC) count, which examines the different types of cells in the blood.
Treatment for anemia is targeted towards the cause of the condition and its outcome depends upon the cause, extent of the condition and general health of the patient. Generally, the prognosis is good for victims of anemia.
Latest Publications and Research on Anemia
- Non-invasive fetal electrocardiography ameliorates fetal outcome in chorioangioma: A case report. - Published by PubMed
- Development of a Computer-Assisted Adverse Drug Events Alarm and Assessment System for Hospital Inpatients in China. - Published by PubMed
- Goal-oriented monitoring of cyclosporine is effective for graft-versus-host disease prevention after Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Sickle Cell Disease and Thalassemia major. - Published by PubMed
- Prevalence of and factors associated with low Back pain, thoracic spine pain and neck pain in Bashkortostan, Russia: the Ural Eye and Medical Study. - Published by PubMed
- Elixhauser Comorbidity Measure is Superior to Charlson Comorbidity Index In-Predicting Hospital Complications Following Elective Posterior Cervical Decompression and Fusion. - Published by PubMed