Typically, men who suffer from andropause symptoms are treated for the specific medical condition. This may often lead to problems. For example, a man suffering from depression will be treated with anti depressants, which will only help to magnify his andropausal symptoms, such as low libido.
The treatment of choice for andropause includes Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) for men with reduced levels of testosterone. Although this is still a controversial area it was found that many patients benefitted immensely from the treatment. Some of the benefits include:
• Improvement in attitude
• Increase in self-confidence and self-esteem
• Increased energy levels
• Enhanced concentration, cognition
• Enhanced mood and sense of well being
• Enhanced libido and sexual performance
• Improvement in mood and sense of well-being
• Improved sleep
• Increase in physical fitness
Testosterone replacement is not a benign treatment and must be carried out according to the advise of the doctor. Men getting TRT should be regularly monitored for prostate cancer.
Other risks from the treatment include stroke, breast development, and impairment in sperm production and liver toxicity.
Testosterone treatment should be completely avoided in the case of breast cancer (in males) and Prostate cancer.
It must be carried out according to the advise of a doctor in case of the following conditions:
• Liver /heart/blood vessel /kidney disease
• Diabetes mellitus
• Enlarged prostate
In the presence of certain catalysts, the aromatase enzyme found in the human body converts testosterone into the female hormone estrogen. Grapes, fatty substances and alcohol act as these catalysts.
Vitamin C and Zinc are recommended for andropausal men.
Experts feel that a holistic approach is the key to the management of andropause. Depression or sexual problems should be treated if necessary. Seen from that light, the following are recommended for men showing symptoms of andropause.
• Dietary changes-partaking low fat food, plenty of water, soy products, tomatoes and green veggies
• Avoiding alcohol and smoking
• Stress reduction methods like meditation and relaxation techniques
• Counseling as a couple
• Rediscovering an interest in career