Anaesthesia history - Introduction
Anesthesia plays a very important role in the field of medical surgery. One cannot possibly think of undergoing a surgery without being anesthetized. Before the discovery of the various anesthetic agents people underwent severe pain and agony. Patients were strapped down or were given alcohol and other sedative drugs to ameliorate the pain of surgery. Surgery sans pain would have remained a dream of the yester years if not for anesthesia, which has now made it a reachable reality!
Various anesthetic drugs like alcohol, opium (poppy), hyoscine, cannabis (hemp), cocaine were all used in the by gone era to relive pain. But till date it is the structure of morphine (opium alkaloids) that serves as a model for the synthesis of other modern synthetic anesthetic agents.
Latest Publications and Research on Anaesthesia - History
- History and evolution of regional anesthesiology and acute pain medicine fellowship training. - Published by PubMed
- Determinants of surgeons' adherence to preventive intraoperative measures of surgical site infection in Gaza Strip hospitals: a multi-centre cross-sectional study. - Published by PubMed
- Prone cardiopulmonary resuscitation in elderly undergoing posterior spinal fusion with laminectomy. - Published by PubMed
- Considering healthcare value and associated risk factors with postoperative urinary retention after elective laminectomy. - Published by PubMed
- Performance in 6-min walk test in prediction of post-operative pulmonary complication in major oncosurgeries: A prospective observational study. - Published by PubMed