The most effective method of prevention is a slow and gradual ascent. Mountaineers are always advised to advance no more than 1000 feet a day after having crossed 8,000 feet. After crossing 8,000 feet climbers should be given an extra day of rest for acclimatization after climbing every successive 1,500 to 3,000 feet.
Follow these simple safety tips and precautions to avoid succumbing to altitude sickness:
- Following a high carb diet for a few weeks prior to your trip may help cut the risk.
- Make sure that you are equipped with all the necessary first aid medications and other items.
- Salmeterol inhalers and certain drugs like Viagra could help to prevent fluid buildup in the lungs.
- Keep in mind that treatments that help with mild altitude sickness cannot be used for prevention as they may mask the early warning signs, denying timely intervention.
- If you do not have extensive experience at high altitudes, make sure to only climb with experienced guides.
- Avoid smoking and consuming alcohol.
- Avoid taking any kind of sleeping medications.
- Make sure that you stay hydrated.
- "Altitude Sickness." NHS. Web. 6 May 2015
- Better Health Channel - (http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Altitude_sickness?open)
- Imray C, Wright A, Subudhi A, Roach R. Acute mountain sickness: pathophysiology, prevention, and treatment. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2010 May-Jun;52(6):467-84. doi: 10.1016/j.pcad.2010.02.003. Review. PubMed PMID: 20417340.
- Coote JH. Medicine and mechanisms in altitude sickness. Recommendations. Sports Med. 1995 Sep;20(3):148-59. Review. PubMed PMID: 8570999.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Shaun DMello. (2021, June 18). Altitude Sickness - Health Tips. Medindia. Retrieved on May 24, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/altitude-sickness-health-tips.htm.
Shaun DMello. "Altitude Sickness - Health Tips". Medindia. May 24, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/altitude-sickness-health-tips.htm>.
Shaun DMello. "Altitude Sickness - Health Tips". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/altitude-sickness-health-tips.htm. (accessed May 24, 2022).
Shaun DMello. 2021. Altitude Sickness - Health Tips. Medindia, viewed May 24, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/altitude-sickness-health-tips.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Emergency Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
8 years experience
Srinivasa Hospital, Austin Town
+ 1 more