Allergy Eye Drops - for Red & Itchy Eyes
NSAID eye drops reduce eye inflammation. Corticosteroid drugs are most effective in allergy, however they cause serious side effects; hence they are used in severe cases only.
NSAID Eye drops
They reduce eye inflammation and relieve symptoms of itching and redness. Among these, Ketolorac tromethamine (Acular LS, Acuvail) is a newer formulation and is also available as a preservative free preparation. It may cause stinging in the eyes in some people. Local NSAIDs are not recommended in children.
Corticosteroid eye drops
Corticosteroid eye drops are perhaps the most effective in treating eye allergies, however they cause severe side effects such as increase in eye pressure, cataract and corneal ulcers. Hence they are used in severe cases and those not responding to other drugs. Loteprednol etabonate (Alrex) is a new corticosteroid available in a low concentration as eye drops (0.2%) that can be used in seasonal allergies.
- Eye Allergy Diagnosis and Treatment - (https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/allergies-diagnosis)
- Redness-Relieving Eye Drops - (https://www.aao.org/eye-health/treatments/redness-relieving-eye-drops)
- Treating Allergic Conjunctivitis: A Once-Daily Medication that Provides 24-Hour Symptom Relief - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5010431/)
- Eye Allergy - (https://acaai.org/allergies/types/eye-allergy)
- Eye Drop Tips - (https://www.glaucoma.org/treatment/eyedrop-tips.php)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2020, January 21). Allergy Eye Drops - for Red & Itchy Eyes. Medindia. Retrieved on May 21, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/allergy-eye-drops-red-and-itchy.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Allergy Eye Drops - for Red & Itchy Eyes". Medindia. May 21, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/allergy-eye-drops-red-and-itchy.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Allergy Eye Drops - for Red & Itchy Eyes". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/allergy-eye-drops-red-and-itchy.htm. (accessed May 21, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Allergy Eye Drops - for Red & Itchy Eyes. Medindia, viewed May 21, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/allergy-eye-drops-red-and-itchy.htm.