Prevention of Allergic Rhinitis
Avoidance or elimination of the source of allergen is the best way to prevent
Avoidance or elimination of the source of allergen is the best way to prevent allergic rhinitis. However studies in this field are limited. There is no consensus as to how much allergen reduction is needed to reduce symptoms.
- Dust mite avoidance: remove reservoirs for mite growth:
- Cover mattresses and pillows with allergen-impermeable covers
- Wash bedding in a hot cycle
- Wear a simple mask to avoid exposure to dust
- Maintain low humidity
- Treat windows, shower curtains, and indoor plants with mild fungicides (dilute household bleach). Dehumidification also keeps down fungal invasion.
- Keep a check on cockroaches and rodents.
- Pets are the most preventable source of allergic diseases and should be eliminated from the home of the patient with AR. Cats are most notorious. Elimination of animal dander is a difficult task.
- Cecil Medicine, 23rd Ed.
- The Merck Manual, 18th Ed.