Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which Doctor Should I Consult for Foodborne Illnesses?

A gastroenterologist can be consulted for the treatment and management of foodborne illness.

2. Is Travelerís diarrhea same as foodborne illness?

Yes. Travelerís diarrhea refers to the foodborne illness when a person visits certain foreign country eats food or drinks water that is contaminated with bacteria, viruses or parasites. Travelerís diarrhea usually occurs in people from developed countries who travel to developing countries.

3. What happens if symptoms of foodborne illness are ignored?

Ignoring symptoms of foodborne illness can lead to severe dehydration. This can lead to shock, coma or paralysis. Other possible complications of foodborne illnesses include reactive arthritis, irritable bowel syndrome and hemolytic uremic syndrome.

4. Who is prone to foodborne illness?

Everyone who eats contaminated food is prone to foodborne illness. Certain groups of people like infants and children, older adults, pregnant women and people with weaker immune systems are more prone to foodborne diseases.

5. Do all foodborne illnesses cause infection in the stomach and intestine?

No. Foodborne illness can be infections like bacterial, viral or protozoal infections that are transmitted via contaminated food. Food poisoning is the result of consuming food that contains chemical residues like pesticides or harmful preservatives. Food poisoning can be due to biological poisoning like consuming poisonous plants, mushrooms or animals like shellfish.

Most Popular on Medindia