Albinism - Myths
There are weird myths about Albinos making them a social outcast.
Cultures around the world have developed many myths and superstitions regarding people with albinism. Some of the common misconceptions are:
- Albino individuals of a species are sterile. This is not true as albinos are capable of reproduction
- In Zimbabwe, it is thought that having sex with a woman with albinism will cure a man of HIV. Many women with albinism in the area have been raped.
- In Jamaica people with albinism are regarded as cursed, and therefore degraded.
- In some cultures, people with albinism are thought to have magical powers, or are able to tell the future.
- It is also thought by many that people with albinism live a short life which is not true.
- People with albinism are retarded or deaf.
- Albinism results from inbreeding or the mixture of two races.
- Persons with albinism always have red eyes.
- Persons with albinism are totally blind.
- Albinism is contagious.