HIV-AIDS - Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma - Symptoms-Treatment
Non- Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
Non- Hodgkin’s lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphatic system. The lymphatic system includes the bone marrow, liver, spleen, and lymph nodes. It produces white blood cells called lymphocytes, which are responsible for immunity. Sometimes, it produces abnormal lymphocytes. These abnormal lymphocytes keep multiplying, leading to a cancer called lymphoma.
Symptoms of Non – Hodgkin’s lymphoma
The patient usually has symptoms of night sweats, fever and weight loss. The lymph nodes may appear as painless swellings under the skin. Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma can affect the brain and cause headaches, seizures or paralysis. It can affect any organ including the gastrointestinal tract, bone marrow, liver and lungs.
Treatment of Non – Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
Non- Hodgkin’s lymphoma is treated with chemotherapy along with HAART regimen of anti HIV drugs. Lymphoma of the brain is treated with radiation.
- Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine 17th edition.
- Non–AIDS-Deﬁning Malignancies in HIV. Top HIV Med. 2008;16(4):117-121.
- Cheung MC, Pantanowitz L, Dezube BJ. AIDS-Related Malignancies: Emerging Challenges in the Era of Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy. The Oncologist 2005;10:412–426.
- Sullivan RJ, Pantanowitz L, Casper C, Stebbing J, and Dezube BJ. Epidemiology, pathophysiology and treatment of Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus disease: Kaposi sarcoma, primary effusion lymphoma, and multicentric Castleman disease. Clin Infect Dis. 2008 November 1; 47(9): 1209–1215.
- Pantanowitz L, and Dezube BJ. Evolving Spectrum and Incidence of Non-AIDS-Defining Malignancies. Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2009 January ; 4(1): 27–34.
- Engels EA. Non-AIDS-defining malignancies in HIV-infected persons: etiologic puzzles, epidemiologic perils, prevention opportunities. AIDS. 2009 May 15; 23(8): 875–885.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2016, January 28). AIDS/HIV Related Cancer - Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Medindia. Retrieved on May 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/aids-hiv-cancer-non-hodgkins-lymphoma.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "AIDS/HIV Related Cancer - Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma". Medindia. May 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/aids-hiv-cancer-non-hodgkins-lymphoma.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "AIDS/HIV Related Cancer - Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/aids-hiv-cancer-non-hodgkins-lymphoma.htm. (accessed May 26, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. AIDS/HIV Related Cancer - Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Medindia, viewed May 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/aids-hiv-cancer-non-hodgkins-lymphoma.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Epidemiologist for your problem? Ask your question
20 years experience
K.b.bhabha Hospital,Kurla-West,Mumbai-400070, Kalyan West