Excessive secretion of this acid and pepsin or a weakened stomach mucosal defense is responsible for damage to the delicate mucosa and the lining of the stomach, esophagus and duodenum resulting in ulceration which is known as “Acid Peptic Disease”.(1✔)
Physiologically, a certain amount of acid is secreted by the gastric cells lining the stomach as a natural mechanism which serves to activate the digestive enzymes and help in the digestion and assimilation of important proteins so that they can be easily absorbed by the body.(2✔)
“Acid peptic disease” is a collective term used to include many conditions such as gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD), gastritis, gastric ulcer, duodenal ulcer, esophageal ulcer, Zollinger Ellison Syndrome (ZES) and Meckel’s diverticular ulcer.(3✔)
The commonest ulcers are the gastric and the duodenal ulcer.
Symptoms of peptic ulcers include abdominal pain, nausea, water brash, vomiting, loss of appetite and weight loss. Complications include bleeding, perforation, obstruction in the digestive tract and sometimes cancer.(4✔, 5✔)
Peptic ulcer is diagnosed using blood and stool tests, breath tests, and endoscopy and barium radiography. The patient is treated with drugs that reduce acidity and sometimes in addition with certain antibiotics to eliminate the H pylori causing the infection (described below). Surgery may be required in some cases.
- Kunmam (Acid Peptic Disease) - (https://www.nhp.gov.in/Kunmam-(Acid-Peptic-Disease)_mtl)
- American College of Gastroenterology guideline on the management of Helicobacter pylori infection. - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17608775)
- The prevalence of Helicobacter pylori in acid peptic disease - (http://www.archintsurg.org/article.asp?issn=2278-9596;year=2014;volume=4;issue=2;spage=91;epage=95;aulast=Gupta )
- Long-term stress and Helicobacter pylori infection independently induce gastric mucosal lesions in C57BL/6 mice. - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12465722)
- Peptic Ulcer Disease and Helicobacter pylori infection - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6140150/)
- Peptic ulcer - (http://research.omicsgroup.org/index.php/Peptic_ulcer)
- Peptic ulcers: causes, prevention, perforation and treatment - (https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/2743/c9faddd49671362f2fe2e4d45dac181089fe.pdf)
- Peptic Ulcer: Causes and Therapy - (https://www.pharmatutor.org/articles/peptic-ulcer-causes-and-therapy?page=5%2C4)
- Peptic Ulcer: Peptic Disorders: Merck Manual Home Edition.
- Chey WD, Wong BC. American College of Gastroenterology guideline on the management of Helicobacter pylori infection. Am J Gastroenterol. Aug 2007;102(8):1808-25.
- Kato, Ikuko; Abraham M. Y. Nomura, Grant N. Stemmermann and Po-Huang Chyou (1992). "A Prospective Study of Gastric and Duodenal Ulcer and Its Relation to Smoking, Alcohol, and Diet". American Journal of Epidemiology 135 (5): 521–530. PMID 1570818.
- Malagelada JR, Kuipers EJ, Blaser MJ. Acid peptic disease: clinical manifestations, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis. In: Goldman L, Ausiello D, eds. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 142.
- Kim YH, Lee JH, Lee SS, et al. (2002). "Long-term stress and Helicobacter pylori infection independently induce gastric mucosal lesions in C57BL/6 mice". Scand. J. Gastroenterol. 37 (11): 1259–64. doi:10.1080/003655202761020515. PMID 12465722.
Latest Publications and Research on Acid Peptic DiseaseFuture perspective for potential Helicobacter pylori eradication therapies. - Published by PubMed
Future perspective for potential Helicobacter pylori eradication therapies. - Published by PubMed
Fruit-Derived Polysaccharides and Terpenoids: Recent Update on the Gastroprotective Effects and Mechanisms. - Published by PubMed
The appropriate use of proton pump inhibitors. - Published by PubMed
Adverse Effects of Proton Pump Inhibitors on Platelet Count: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. - Published by PubMed