About Careers Internship MedBlogs Contact us
Medindia LOGIN REGISTER
Advertisement

Achondroplasia - Frequently Asked Questions

Written by Dr. Sangamithra, MBBS , Suchitra Chari | Medically Reviewed by Dr. Simi Paknikar, MD on Nov 30, 2016
Font : A-A+

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor can I consult if my baby is diagnosed with achondroplasia?

You will have to consult a pediatrician, orthopedic surgeon, dental surgeon and a neurosurgeon depending on the complication that requires treatment.

2. What can be done for patients with achondroplasia?

Children and adults with achondroplasia can lead normal lives provided they receive attentive, informed care by their physicians and parents.

3. Is being a dwarf considered a disability?

People with achondroplasia can live a normal life although they might have other complications they have to deal with in life. They are intellectually on par with others. However, they do get disability benefits in America.
Advertisement

4. How many different types of dwarfism are there?

There are several types of dwarfism which are classified into two main types proportionate dwarfism where the person is short but the body parts are proportionate, and disproportionate dwarfism which includes achondroplasia.

5. What does double dominance mean?

A person having achondroplasia has one dwarfism gene and one average-size gene. When two parents with achondroplasia have a baby, there is a 50% chance that the child will have one dwarf and one average-size gene and have achondroplasia, just like either parent. There is a 25% chance that the child will inherit the average-size gene from both the parents and be of normal height. The 4th scenario when the child inherits the dwarf genes from both parents (25% chance) is known as double dominance and is lethal.

6. Are there other syndromes that affect the same gene as achondroplasia?

Yes, thanatophoric dysplasia (TD) and hypochondroplasia also occur due to defects in the FGFR3 gene.

Hypochondroplasia is classified as short-limbed dwarfism and has clinical features similar to achondroplasia but are milder.

Thanatophoric dysplasia is a severe skeletal disorder resulting in stillborn children or death shortly after birth from respiratory failure.

Citations   close

Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:

  • APA

    Dr. Sangamithra. (2016, November 30). Achondroplasia - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia. Retrieved on May 28, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/achondroplasia-faqs.htm.

  • MLA

    Dr. Sangamithra. "Achondroplasia - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. May 28, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/achondroplasia-faqs.htm>.

  • Chicago

    Dr. Sangamithra. "Achondroplasia - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/achondroplasia-faqs.htm. (accessed May 28, 2022).

  • Harvard

    Dr. Sangamithra. 2021. Achondroplasia - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia, viewed May 28, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/achondroplasia-faqs.htm.


Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.

Comments

onkar89

Hello i m from pune i like to know in India Achondroplasia consider as Handicapped or not plz help me Reply plz

oh121212

when is rondals and whos tuesday??? why is timmy frolicking in my rabbit garden? tom plus tree equals arab. aaron went to the market to buy chicken but he got carrots thinking it was tom.

dwarfmaster11

Achondroplasia is serious it makes your head big and your limbs short its not fun sometimes my head gets too heavy and i fall over and i cant reach the light switch in the bathroom so i poop in the dark

clits94

can people suffering from achondroplasia conceive?? and can a girl of 20yrs old can b treated for achondroplasia??? please reply

KIA28SINGLE

I HAVE A 4 YEAR OLD LITLE PERSON AND HE GET AROUND PRETTY GOOD TO BE A LITTLE PERSON BUT HE IS OLDER AND WANT TO DO MORE THINGS FOR HISSELF LIKE WIPE HIS BEHINE HOW DO I TEACH HIM HOW TO DO THOSE THINGS

pet35

gd day, im peter frm nigeria, my baby is diagonised of achondroplasia by a doc in lagos teaching hospital, idi araba. she is a yr old. pls what can i do at least to increase her height.

View More Comments
Advertisement
Health Topics A - Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z



    Advertisement
    What's New on Medindia
    Monkeypox Outbreak: What it is, How Does it Spread & the Prevention
    Seasonal Allergy Medications
    How to Choose the Best Eczema-Friendly Moisturizer for Children?
    View all
    Advertisement

    Medindia Newsletters Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
    Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

    Most Popular on Medindia

    Drug Interaction Checker Calculate Ideal Weight for Infants Vent Forte (Theophylline) Drug - Food Interactions Blood Pressure Calculator Sanatogen Find a Hospital How to Reduce School Bag Weight - Simple Tips Blood - Sugar Chart Find a Doctor

    Disclaimer - All information and content on this site are for information and educational purposes only. The information should not be used for either diagnosis or treatment or both for any health related problem or disease. Always seek the advice of a qualified physician for medical diagnosis and treatment. Full Disclaimer

    © All Rights Reserved 1997 - 2022

    This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use