Tooth abscesses are easily preventable in most cases and it doesn’t really require much effort. Dental treatment can work out to be extremely expensive and will also cause considerable discomfort. Here are some tips to prevent a tooth abscess:
- Try to drink fluoridated drinking water and brush your teeth with a toothpaste containing fluoride.
- Make it a point to brush your teeth twice a day, preferably before going to bed, in addition to brushing it when you wake up.
- Using dental floss is not some extreme measure, and it is in fact something you should use every day.
- Make it a point to replace your toothbrush whenever the bristles get frayed.
- Watch what you eat. Avoid sugary snacks and drinks and avoid mid-meal snacking.
- Try to consume some raw honey from time to time as it may actually help minimize plaque buildup, with some studies even suggesting it may have some use in the treatment of gingivitis and periodontal disease.
- Clove oil is widely renowned for its antibacterial or microbicide activity, which is why it is the main ingredient in most dental care solutions. Studies show that in addition to clove oil, peppermint and tea tree oil can also help protect against oral pathogens.
- Don’t avoid any visits to the dentist and try to go for regular checks and cleanings.
If you do have the misfortune of developing a tooth abscess, despite your best efforts, it may help to follow these self-help tips:
- Avoid exposing your teeth to extreme temperatures in terms of both food and drink. In addition to avoiding hot and cold food and beverages, also try to be in an environment with a relatively stable temperature that is not too low.
- Although your tooth is increasingly sensitive to temperature extremes, you may get some abscessed tooth pain relief by applying cool water or crushed ice around the infected tooth.
- Try to rest in a slightly inclined position so that you are not completely flat, as this may provide some relief from the pain.
Oral rinses with a saline solution or salt water will help promote healing after you’ve undergone a root canal or other dental procedures.
- Dental abscess - (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dental-abscess/Pages/Treatment.aspx)
- About Tooth abscess - (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001060.htm)
- English HK, Pack AR, Molan PC. The effects of manuka honey on plaque and gingivitis: a pilot study. J Int Acad Periodontol. 2004 Apr;6(2):63-7. PubMed PMID: 15125017.
- Thosar, Nilima et al. “Antimicrobial Efficacy of Five Essential Oils against Oral Pathogens: An in Vitro Study.” European Journal of Dentistry 7.Suppl 1 (2013): S71–S77. PMC. Web. 12 May 2015.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Shaun DMello. (2015, May 19). Tooth Abscess - Health Tips. Medindia. Retrieved on May 20, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/abscessed-tooth-health-tips.htm.
Shaun DMello. "Tooth Abscess - Health Tips". Medindia. May 20, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/abscessed-tooth-health-tips.htm>.
Shaun DMello. "Tooth Abscess - Health Tips". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/abscessed-tooth-health-tips.htm. (accessed May 20, 2022).
Shaun DMello. 2021. Tooth Abscess - Health Tips. Medindia, viewed May 20, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/abscessed-tooth-health-tips.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Dentist for your problem? Ask your question
9 years experience
Peoples Dental Clinic, Gamma 1