Abortion is the termination of pregnancy before the fetus is viable; the period of viability is often referred to between 23 and 24 weeks of gestation. In some pregnancies, the fetus is spontaneously aborted by the body. In other cases, unwanted pregnancies are medically or surgically terminated.(1✔ ✔Trusted Source
What is Abortion?
Go to source)
Induced abortions are not only ethically unacceptable by some communities, but illegal abortions also put the woman at a risk of sepsis and death. This has necessitated the legalization of abortions under certain circumstances. Unfortunately, even legal abortions are not always done under ideally sterile conditions and by well-qualified staff, which still puts the woman at a risk for complications.
Though contraceptive methods are widely and easily available, abortions are very commonly carried out. Statistics indicate that the number of abortions has decreased in the developed countries and is increasing in the developing countries.
Abortion is carried out with medications or surgically depending on the duration of gestation. Medical abortion is usually done with a combination of two drugs - RU-486 or mifepristone that initiates the abortion, and a prostaglandin, which causes the uterus to contract and thereby expel the abortus. Methotrexate is used instead of mifepristone in places where mifepristone is not available. In some cases, a prostaglandin is used alone. Surgical abortion includes procedures like vacuum aspiration and dilatation and curettage.
An early abortion reduces the chances of complications in the mother as compared to an abortion in the later stages of pregnancy. Most abortions are carried out during the first trimester of pregnancy. In a majority of these cases, the pregnancy is unplanned. Later abortions are usually due to conditions like fetal abnormalities and serious illnesses in the mother, which could result in death of the woman during later pregnancy or delivery.
What is new in Abortion?
- What is Abortion? - (https://www.bpas.org/abortion-care/considering-abortion/what-is-abortion/)
- Abortion in India - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_India)
- Abortion (Termination of Pregnancy) - (https://www.health.harvard.edu/medical-tests-and-procedures/abortion-termination-of-pregnancy-a-to-z)
- Clinical Care for Women Undergoing Abortion - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK138188/)
- What Happens in Abortion - (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/abortion/what-happens/)
- Induced Abortion - (https://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq043.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20121007T1323563261)
Latest Publications and Research on Abortion
- Biologic therapy use and pregnancy outcomes in women with immune-mediated inflammatory rheumatic diseases. - Published by PubMed
- Cervical preparation for dilation and evacuation at 20-24 weeks' gestation. - Published by PubMed
- No global consensus among doctors or society on abortion. - Published by PubMed
- Safety of deep sedation without intubation during surgical abortion in the independent clinic setting. - Published by PubMed
- ADRENERGIC AND CHOLINERGIC UTERINE INNERVATION AND THE IMPACT ON REPRODUCTION IN AGED WOMEN. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2020, March 17). Abortion - Types - Pre and Post Assessment - Complications - FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on Jun 27, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/abortion.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Abortion - Types - Pre and Post Assessment - Complications - FAQs". Medindia. Jun 27, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/abortion.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Abortion - Types - Pre and Post Assessment - Complications - FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/abortion.htm. (accessed Jun 27, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Abortion - Types - Pre and Post Assessment - Complications - FAQs. Medindia, viewed Jun 27, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/abortion.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
3 years experience
, Kharghar , Navi mumbai
20 years experience
10 years experience
12 years experience
apollo hospital, navi mumbai