What are the factors that affect the Ultra-violet radiation?
- Ozone: Ozone is a gas present in the stratosphere layer of the atmosphere and it shields us from the harmful UV rays by preventing it from reaching the earth. However depletion of ozone layer due to chemical reaction of pollutants is a serious cause of concern to all the citizens of this planet.
- Clouds: The intensity of clouds covering the atmosphere at any given time reduces the UV reaching the earth by absorbing it or scattering it
- Altitude: The higher the altitude the greater the exposure to UV radiation as there is a reduction in the atmosphere that absorbs it.
- Latitude: The intensity of the sun's rays and that of the UV radiation is highest in the equator.
- Aerosols: Particulates caused by dust and smoke absorbs UV radiation and helps scatter it thereby preventing it from reaching the earth.
- Earth's reflectivity: Highly reflective substances like snow found on the earth's surface ward off the UV rays
- Water Bodies: The greater the depth of the earth's water bodies; the lower is the reachability of the UV radiation.
- Time of the Day:UV radiation is the maximum during high noon when the sun is overhead and radiates energy with maximum intensity.
- Time of the year: The intensity of the sun's radiations varies with the seasons and is at its maximum during the summer months.
References for Ultra-Violet Radiation - Harmful Effects And Benefits
- Stratosphere: UV Index - (http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/uv_index/index.html)
- UV Index Information - (http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/uv_index/uv_information.shtml)
- UV Index: Annual Time Series - (http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/uv_index/uv_annual.shtml)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2018, December 17). Ultraviolet radiation - Determining Factors. Medindia. Retrieved on May 23, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ultravioletradiation-determiningfactors.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Ultraviolet radiation - Determining Factors". Medindia. May 23, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ultravioletradiation-determiningfactors.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Ultraviolet radiation - Determining Factors". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ultravioletradiation-determiningfactors.htm. (accessed May 23, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Ultraviolet radiation - Determining Factors. Medindia, viewed May 23, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ultravioletradiation-determiningfactors.htm.