Measures to promote a good night's sleep
- Reset the internal clock by maintaining a regular schedule of going to bed and getting up at the same time, everyday. Set aside regular timings for meals, medications, and other activities, which will help to keep the inner body clock running smoothly.
- Avoid irregular napping, but if you want to nap than do so on a regular basis at the same timings. Do not take naps after 3p.m.
- Regular exercises done in the morning and early afternoon promotes good sleep. Avoid strenuous physical activity before bedtime.
- Avoid sleeping pills, as prolonged use can lead to a decrease in slow wave and REM sleep and an increase in lighter stages of sleep. So, if you have to use them, do so judiciously.
- Adopt regular rituals before bedtime as this prepares you to sleep. Find something relaxing like reading a book or listening to soft music as this can help relax your body and distract your mind.
- Make your bedroom quiet, dark and cool, to remind you of a cave. While this may not sound romantic, it seems to work for bats. Bats are champion sleepers. They get about 16hrs of sleep each day. Perhaps it is because they sleep in dark cool caves.
The Joys Of Slumber: So intense is the joy of a fully rested night that it has been said “If a man is not happy after a good night ‘s sleep he can never be happy at all,” but that’s only for men, women are a lot more sensible as they always get their beauty sleep.
- Huxley, Aldous. In Coren S. Sleep Thieves: An Eye-Opening Exploration into the Science and Mysteries of Sleep. New York: The Free Press; 1996, p. 175.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Anitha Paderla. (2021, July 28). Sleep Hygiene. Medindia. Retrieved on May 24, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep-hygiene.htm.
Dr. Anitha Paderla. "Sleep Hygiene". Medindia. May 24, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep-hygiene.htm>.
Dr. Anitha Paderla. "Sleep Hygiene". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep-hygiene.htm. (accessed May 24, 2022).
Dr. Anitha Paderla. 2021. Sleep Hygiene. Medindia, viewed May 24, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep-hygiene.htm.