Salmonellosis - Prevention
Cleanliness is the key to prevent Salmonellosis.
There are no preventive vaccines available. Therefore the following measures may be adopted to prevent the infection -
- Do not forgot to wash hands thoroughly with soap after using the toilet
- Wash hands thoroughly after touching animal feces
- Clean utensils and kitchen work- surfaces well before use
- Thorough cooking kills Salmonella
- Clean and cook eggs or poultry well, before consumption.
- Avoid eating raw eggs/diary products/vegetables
- Avoid drinking raw milk
- Do not eat semi-cooked meat
- Wash hands immediately after handling poultry/meat
- Wash hands immediately after handling any reptile.
- Ensure that children wash their hands after handling poultry or a reptile
- Breast feeding helps to prevent the infection in an infant.