Conventional treatment is by antacids
- Which neutralise the gastric acid and reduce the inflammation like
1. Antacids like. (Gelusil)
However, many people require stronger medications if symptoms are confirmed yet not relived in 4 weeks
- Acid suppressants, such as histamine H2-antagonists (blockers), histamine is a chemical released in the body under many different conditions.
- In the stomach it can release more acid, so blocking histamine's action reduces acid production. Like
- Proton-pump inhibitors also work on the cells in the stomach wall, which make acid, to reduce the amount of acid produced and released into the stomach chamber like
- Other medicines (called pro-kinetic agents) increase the movement of the stomach.
- They work by increasing the pressure of the lower oesophageal sphincter (the point where the oesophagus joins the stomach) and promote emptying of the stomach like
Most people may expect good, though often not complete, relief of symptoms on one or more of these medications.
- Schwann, Theodor. Über das Wesen des Verdauungsprocesses. Arch Anat Physiol Wissensch Med. 1836; 90-138 [Reprinted in Selected Readings in the History of Physiology, 2nd ed. Translated by Fulton JF, Wilson LG. Springfield, IL: Charles C Thomas; 1966, pp. 190-2.
- Manipal Manual Of Surgery: K. Rajgopal Shenoy. MBBS, MS. (2000 EDITION)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Vivekanand. (2020, July 24). Reflux Esophagitis - Medications. Medindia. Retrieved on May 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/refluxesophagitis_medications.htm.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Reflux Esophagitis - Medications". Medindia. May 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/refluxesophagitis_medications.htm>.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Reflux Esophagitis - Medications". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/refluxesophagitis_medications.htm. (accessed May 26, 2022).
Dr. Vivekanand. 2021. Reflux Esophagitis - Medications. Medindia, viewed May 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/refluxesophagitis_medications.htm.