Overview and History
If a woman has not started menstruating by the age of 16, she has Primary Amenorrhea
Menstruation in a girl is often celebrated as advent of womanhood and some communities even celebrate this by ceremoniously blessing the girl. It empowers the continuum of life… and procreation. If there is delay in its onset there is Anxiety generated among parents who may seek the advice of a doctor.
Absence of menstruation is called Amenorrhea. This menstrual disorder is quite common among young women and it indicates lack of menses. It can be classified as primary and secondary.
Primary Amenorrhea refers to a condition where a woman has not attained menarche even at age 16, while Secondary Amenorrhea refers to the absence of menses at a given time, in a woman who has been menstruating.
On an average, most women start menstruating between the age of twelve and thirteen. If the pubertal signs are present and normal, the wait until sixteen years is mandatory, before steps are taken to correct the disorder. Primary Amenorrhea may be accompanied by signs of puberty or it may be characterized by the lack of it.
It's not a curse.... ,It's not a curse.... , It's not a curse....
It signals transformation,
growth, evolution, femininity,
the gift of procreation,
re-creation, and regeneration....
(On Menstruation - earthhenna.com)
- Balachander,G; Raghavan, G; Rajaram, SS (1993)
- J.Obstetrics and. Gynaecology of India, 43(4): 599-604
Latest Publications and Research on Primary Amenorrhea
- Endometrial ablation or resection versus levonorgestrel intra-uterine system for the treatment of women with heavy menstrual bleeding and a normal uterine cavity: a systematic review with meta-analysis. - Published by PubMed
- Primary Ovarian Insufficiency Nationwide Incidence Rate and Etiology Among Israeli Adolescents. - Published by PubMed
- Antipsychotic Treatment effectiveness in First Episode of Psychosis: PAFIP 3-year follow-up randomized clinical trials comparing haloperidol, olanzapine, risperidone, aripiprazole, quetiapine and ziprasidone. - Published by PubMed
- Restoration of fertility in a woman with giant prolactinoma in response to cabergoline treatment. - Published by PubMed
- Fundamental role of BMP15 in human ovarian folliculogenesis revealed by null and missense mutations associated with primary ovarian insufficiency. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2008, April 03). Primary Amenorrhea - Overview and History. Medindia. Retrieved on May 27, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/primary-amenorrhea.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Primary Amenorrhea - Overview and History". Medindia. May 27, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/primary-amenorrhea.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Primary Amenorrhea - Overview and History". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/primary-amenorrhea.htm. (accessed May 27, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Primary Amenorrhea - Overview and History. Medindia, viewed May 27, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/primary-amenorrhea.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
3 years experience
Neo mother and child care clinic, Khurram nagar
4 years experience
Punarjjani womens health hospital , Ernakulam